This past weekend we had so much to get done as we prepare for what promises to be a ridiculously busy June but these sweet potato rounds with a praline pecan crumble started calling my name. I was in the kitchen, cleaning out the pantry when I noticed a few sweet potatoes that were going to go bad if I didn’t cook them soon. Since I haven’t made a dessert at home in a while I figured the cleaning could wait til later in the week. These sweet potato rounds are like mini sweet potato pies and are a simpler take on our sweet potato casserole.
I can whip these up in less than 30 minutes so they are perfect when you need to take a sweet appetizer or a dessert to a party but don’t have a ton of time to invest in preparing the dish. Also, I cheat on the praline pecan crumble. 😉
I can always find praline pecans in the store (Kroger, Sprouts, Whole Foods, CostCo) so I buy them and then smash them up under a rolling pin to form the crumble. You can make praline pecans yourself if you have the time to invest but I’m all about shortcuts. Once you have that made, all you need then is a little maple syrup, cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. You probably have all that in your pantry right now, don’t you?
These are as easy as slice, bake, whip, assemble. I promise you’re going to love them.
I recommend using a stand mixer to whip up the cream cheese topping. You don’t have to spend a fortune on one either; you can grab this one for about $50! If you let the cream cheese soften a bit before using you can easily whip it by hand in a small mixing bowl.
When I’m making the cream cheese topping I usually mix it up to taste so feel free to adjust the recipe below to suit your own preferences. It’s really hard to ruin it so add more or less brown sugar or cinnamon, as needed.
Sweet Potato Rounds with Praline Pecan Crumble
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup praline pecans crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch slices and toss with 1 tbsp maple syrup in a medium bowl.
- Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on the parchment covered cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla then beat until combined.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and brush both sides with the remaining tbsp of maple syrup. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Add a small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to the center of the sweet potato slices. Sprinkle with the praline pecan crumble. Keep cool until time to serve.
If you make them, I’d love to hear what you think although I’m sure they’ll be a hit.