It’s summertime! Not to start this off on a super sad note but this is the time of year when blogs die. 🙁 Kids are out of school and families are off on summer vacations or enjoying a staycation full of barbecues, trips to the pool, and lots of other family activities. No one is really sitting around reading blogs during the summer. Our page views decline but we try to keep our spirits up because we know everything will climb back up and settle back to normal in a month or two.
I’ve met a lot of bloggers that take the summers off or who drop down to publishing only once or twice a week. Not me. I’m still here plugging away because I love to plan ahead and since most my traffic is driven by SEO I have to think about next year. I want my content in the Google-machine now so that when people are searching next year for summer stuff, I’ll come up and be ready.
I also feel like summer is the best time to start a blog so if you’ve been thinking about it, now’s probably the time do it. It gives you time to focus on building and designing your blog so you’re ready for the big holiday push which is usually when people see a big spike in page views, especially if you plan ahead to share holiday recipes, crafts, gift ideas, and hosting tips.
If you’re looking for ideas for summer blog post ideas, I have some inspiration for you right here:
- Share one of your summer travel experiences
- Give your readers a review of a hotel, Airbnb, or resort you stayed at
- Tell us what’s on your summer bucket list
- Share pictures of your front (or back) porch decorated for summer
- Create an outdoor DIY and share the tutorial
- Offer tips for a summer pedicure or foot pampering someone can do at home
- Attend an annual outdoor concert or festival then share the experience along with tips for how to make it better next year.
- Share a summer fashion look along with tips for beating the heat
- Do a hair tutorial for a quick style you can do during the summer and tips for preventing the humidity from ruining your style
- Offer tips for your top essentials for a day at the beach or the park
- Create a great recipe your readers can take to a picnic or potluck
- Go on a picnic then share your picnic recipes or tips for a successful picnic
- Create a neighborhood food guide for one of your favorite areas or districts nearby
- Share your summer reading list and talk about the new releases you can’t wait to read or share old favorites you’d like to re-read
- Make a craft or DIY related to summer entertaining and share the how-to with your readers
- Create a DIY front door wreath or welcome mat
- Do a summer sunset activity like yoga or a sunset hike then share the experience
- Host a backyard barbecue and share barbecue tips or recipes
- Share your favorite summer cocktail recipe (or lemonade / tea recipe if you don’t do alcohol)
- Style your favorite summer sandals and share a review of the brand as well as different ways to wear them
- Create a roundup of your favorite swimsuits to flatter different body types
- Offer safety tips for different summer activities based on where you live (beach safety, pool safety, camping safety, etc.)
- Do a summer fashion DIY and share the tutorial
- Share summer travel tips for your family (i.e. traveling with dogs, traveling with small teenagers, traveling with children, vacationing with your in-laws, etc.)
- Offer advice for navigating the airport with your family or why you chose to drive instead of fly
- Share a tutorial for turning photos into postcards and share your summer experience with your friends and family
- Summer date night ideas for your readers and their spouses. Take an angle like budget date nights, free date nights, date nights worth the splurge, etc.
- Tips for attending a summer wedding and wedding guest etiquette suggestions
- Arranging summer flower bouquets or how to decorate with summer flowers
- Make a favorite summer dessert and share the recipe
- Offer suggestions for outdoor games for children or families
- Review an amusement park or other family summer travel destination
- Talk about home organization and share advice for cleaning out the clutter