This hash brown breakfast casserole has recently become one of my favorite go-to breakfast recipes. It’s so easy to make on Sunday night, pop in the oven on Monday morning, and have for breakfast all week. I plan on keeping this recipe on hand to whip it up when we know we’re going to have visitors too. It makes breakfast so easy (and that tomato gravy is so good!).
I found this recipe in a copy of Martina’s Kitchen Mix: My Recipe Playlist for Real Life I was sent a month or two ago. I’ve been a huge fan of Martina McBride since I was a kid so when the book was offered to me I couldn’t say no. I’ve spent the past few weeks reading her stories and trying her recipes. This hash brown breakfast casserole with tomato gravy has become a clear favorite and I was happy to receive permission to reprint it and share it with you.
Breakfast is one of my favorite things to make and this hash brown breakfast casserole is full of all the good breakfast stuff – eggs, hash brown potatoes, cheese, and sausage. It’s pure comfort food like everything else in the cookbook. Every recipe in Martina’s Kitchen Mix feels homey and familiar, like something I’d expect to see when I’m visiting family. I feel like I should be telling old stories and reminiscing about loved ones.
The recipe calls for ground pork sausage but I used hot pork sausage in mine because I love spicy food. You certainly don’t have to but it was absolutely delicious with the extra kick!
You do need a large mixing bowl to make this recipe. The first time I made it I used a medium/large bowl and it wasn’t nearly big enough so I ended up having to switch everything over to another bowl in the middle of making it. You’re combining hash brown potatoes, eggs, cheese, sour cream, and other ingredients so you definitely need to dig out your large mixing bowl for this. Other than that, it was super easy.
Excerpted from Martina’s Kitchen Mix by Martina McBride. Copyright © 2018 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from TI Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole with Tomato Gravy
- 1 32 oz bag frozen diced or shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 8 oz block sharp Cheddar cheese grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 16 ounce container sour cream
- 1 16 ounce package ground pork sausage roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Garnish chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together the hash browns, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, and the onion, salt, pepper, eggs, and sour cream.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon, reserving the drippings in the pan. Add the flour to the pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes with juice, and cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside, keeping warm.
- In a large bowl, stir in the sausage into the hash brown mixture, and transfer to a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until just set and golden brown, 30 minutes.
- Spoon the casserole onto serving plates, top with the warm tomato gravy and a sprinkling of chives, if desired.
See more from Martina McBride’s new cookbook – Martina’s Kitchen Mix: My Recipe Playlist for Real Life!