I made these chili-roasted carrot tacos a few days ago while playing around with ideas for new veggie taco combinations. I had been watching Instagram stories and Simply Stine shared the blackened fish tacos she had made for dinner which left me with a major taco craving. Since my husband is vegetarian I couldn’t replicate her fish tacos and there wasn’t much in my kitchen since we’d just been on vacation for a few days. I was in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store but I did have carrots and a few other veggie staples I figured I could throw together in a tortilla.
Did you know you can put anything in a tortilla and it instantly becomes delicious? Apparently, that’s a fact because these chili-roasted carrot tacos became an instant favorite. I’ll be replicating them on Easter for a vegetarian Easter dinner option.
Carrots are one of our go-to favorite vegetables because they provide a ton of health benefits including:
- Beta-carotene: Carrots are a rich source of beta-carotene which converts into vitamin A to help maintain healthy skin.
- Digestion: Carrots supply essential minerals, vitamins, and enzymes that aid digestion. They may even help prevent ulcers and other digestive disorders!
- Dental Health: Carrots kill germs in the mouth and help prevent tooth decay.
- Colon Health: Carrots contain falcarinol, which may reduce the risk of colon cancer and promotes overall colon health.
This is a great way to use the carrots you have in your root cellar or your winter garden as you transition into spring recipes. I guarantee you’ll be eating these throughout spring and well into summer.
To make these extra easy for busy nights I use a packaged cabbage slaw mix and the Cilantro Avocado dressing from Marzetti Dressing. The dressing is creamy and the touch of avocado made it absolutely perfect for these tacos. Love it? Check out other recipes from Honey & Pine!
- 8 - 10 carrots, washed, halved, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 8 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup cabbage slaw
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup diced jalapeno
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted pepitas
- Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium bowl, toss the carrots with olive oil, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne until evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until tender.
- Top each tortilla with cabbage slaw, roasted carrots, green onion, jalapeno, pepitas, and a drizzle of Marzetti Cilantro Avocado dressing.
- Top with additional cilantro, if desired and serve.