Brandon and I have been on a real Flex Mex / Tex Mex / Mexican food kick lately but #queso, so I have no regrets and I make no apologies. I thought I was so stocked on all things Tex Mex but I didn’t pay enough attention to my pantry because when I went in there to make dinner a few days ago the cupboards and refrigerator were pretty bare. I was able to dig out tortillas, a can of black beans, and spinach so I didn’t have much to work with, fortunately these black bean & spinach quesadillas are one of our favorite meals. 🙂
I usually reserve quesadillas and enchiladas as items I make for dinner when I have leftover filling and need something quick but these quesadillas are so good that I usually put them on menu at least once or twice a month. Plus, this recipe makes a lot and they store ridiculously easy for leftovers. Also, since I bake my quesadillas rather than fry them, you can actually fully prep these ahead of time and just pop them in the oven when you’re ready. They can take up to 15 – 20 minutes in the oven.
BTW, if you don’t have fresh spinach on hand you can also make these with kale or broccoli rabe. I’ve used both and they all turn out fabulous. I just prefer spinach and I always have it in my kitchen.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links which help support Honey & Pine
Here is what you’ll use to make them:
These quesadillas are just ridiculously good and super easy so you don’t have to be master in the kitchen in order to make them. Sometimes I’ll dice jalapenos and mix it in with the spinach before making them which makes them extra spicy, which I love! Just know it’s an option if you want to kick the heat up a little bit.
- 1 bunch of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Refried Black Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion,
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4.5oz) canned green chiles
- 1/3 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remaining ingredients
- 4 (8-inch) tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.
- Add the baby spinach to a medium mixing bowl along with the chopped cilantro. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet warm olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, approximately 5 minutes or until onion is soft and beginning to lightly brown. Add the chili powder and cayenne pepper and stir until blended, approximately 30 seconds. Add the black beans, green chiles, and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher.
- Spread the black bean mix evenly over half of a tortilla. Top with cheese and a handful of the spinach mix. Fold the quesadilla in half and place on the greased baking sheet. Repeat as necessary to use all of the prepared ingredients. Use additional baking sheets as necessary. Lightly brush the top of the quesadillas with oil.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until the top of the quesadillas are light golden brown.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.
Don’t they sound delicious? They are definitely one of our favorite go-to dinners.