I’ve been holding these Bible verses about healing so close to my heart this year. When we kicked off 2018 way back in January, Brandon and I jokingly referred to it as our “year of healing”. We knew we were going to be going through a lot this year – mentally, emotionally, and physically. We knew it was going to be tough and we walked into 2018 as prepared for it as we could be.
After a lot of studying, contemplation, and consideration, we had decided it was time for Brandon to stop taking his anxiety medication and anti-depressant. We knew there would be a backlash from family, friends, and well-meaning online buddies. It’s difficult to explain to others that while those medications may be great for some people, even necessary for some people, that doesn’t mean a lifetime of medication is right for everyone. We also had some emotional healing to get through which has only been worsened lately with the passing of a dear friend. These Bible verses about healing have been a great comfort to me through it all.
Between Brandon’s health problems, my career change, our relocation, the loss of a close friend, and other generalized mental health struggles, this has shaped up to be a tough year (so far). We have plans for the end of this year and I’m really hoping we’re going to be able to end on a high note. We’re also trying to cling close to God and trust Him to lead us through this period of struggle and turmoil. In Matthew 6:25-34 it is said:
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. …
I’m finding a lot of comfort in those words right now, especially the part that says, “which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?“. Those are deeply needed words for my heart right now. I’ve also taken the time lately to pray over these other Bible verses about healing and I hope they bring comfort to you too.
- You shall serve the Lord your God, and he will bless your bread and your water, and I will take sickness away from among you. – Exodus 23:25
- Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight. Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live. – Psalm 119:143-144
- O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. – Psalm 30:2
- Creating the fruit of the lips. Peace, peace, to the far and to the near,” says the Lord, “and I will heal him. – Isaiah 57:19
- “Behold, blessed is the one whom God reproves; therefore despise not the discipline of the Almighty. For he wounds, but he binds up; he shatters, but his hands heal. – Job 5:17-18
- Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. – James 5:11
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. – Psalm 103:2-5
- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. – James 4:7
- More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, – Romans 5:3-4
- And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. – James 5:15
- Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise. – Jeremiah 17:14
If you’re struggling right now and need reassurance, I hope these Bible verses about healing were able to bring at least a little bit of comfort to your heart.