We have a thing for grilled cheese around here and this apple cheddar grilled cheese has been a favorite of mine for years. It’s simple to throw together when you need a quick and easy dinner idea plus it’s filling enough to keep you from snacking again in an hour.
I picked up a couple dozen apples at the farmer’s market this past weekend because I’m hoping to get in the kitchen and practice my pie-baking skills again. I’m usually a disaster at making pies but I’m determined to master it. Besides, every year my family hosts a huge 4th of July celebration and I want to bring an all-American apple pie this year that impressed everyone. You’ve gotta have #goals, right?
Speaking of apple pie, are you one of the people that eat their apple pie topped with a slice of cheddar cheese? I noticed someone eating their pie that way a few years ago and that’s what inspired my first attempt at an apple cheddar grilled cheese. I tried it, it was delicious, and I’ve been making them ever since.
The apple will soften while the sandwich is cooking so I recommend starting out with crisp apples like honeycrisp, gala, or fuji apples. I’ve also made these sandwiches with granny smith apples. They are a more tart variety of apple but that balances well with the cheddar cheese.
Since apples are very juicy take care to cut thin slices of apple before adding them to the sandwich bread. If the slices are too thick the apple juice soaks into the bread making a soggy sandwich (and no one wants that).
Either sharp or mild cheddar works well for this apple cheddar grilled cheese although I prefer the mild cheddar. Sharp cheddar can overwhelm the apple in the sandwich (depending on the apple variety) but mild cheddar is almost always a great complement. My favorite combination is honeycrisp apples and mild cheddar. It’s damn near perfection.
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 12 slices of mild cheddar cheese
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- Melt 1 tsp butter in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat
- Butter one side of each slice of bread
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in hot skillet or pan. Top with 1 1/2 slices of cheese, thinly sliced apple, and remaining 1 1/2 slices of cheese. Top with remaining slice of bread, butter side up.
- Let cook for 2 minutes (until bottom of bread is toasted and cheese is melting). Using a thin spatula, flip the sandwich and cook the remaining side until the bread is toasted.
- Remove from the pan and let cool for 1 - 2 minutes before serving.
What do you think of these apple cheddar grilled cheese sandwiches?