Honey & Pine is a sustainable living blog designed to help others learn how to embrace living simply and enjoying the little joys in life. Our lives are firmly rooted in our personal faith, social principles, and core values as detailed below.
The Natural World
- All of creation belongs to the Lord. We are responsible for the ways in which we use and abuse all created and living things.
- Water, air, soil, minerals, energy resources, plants, animal life, and space are to be valued and conserved because they are God’s creation and not solely because they are useful to human beings.
- There is responsibility on the church and its members to place a high priority on changes in economic, political, social, and technological lifestyles to support a more ecologically equitable and sustainable world leading to a higher quality of life for all of God’s creation.
- We recognize science as a legitimate interpretation of God’s natural world. We affirm the validity of the claims of science in describing the natural world. We find that science’s descriptions of cosmological, geological, and biological evolution are not in conflict with theology.
- We recognize medical, technical, and scientific technologies as legitimate uses of God’s natural world when such use enhances human life and enables all of God’s children to develop their God-given creative potential without violating our ethical convictions about the relationship of humanity to the natural world.
Family + Sexuality
- We believe that all people are important—simply because they are created by God loved through and by Jesus Christ, not because they have earned significance. We support social environments in which communities are maintained and strengthened for the sake of all people and their growth.
- We embrace and nurture cultural formation and competency as a means to be fully one body, expressed in multiple ways. Each of us has multiple identities of equal value that intersect to form our complete self. We affirm that no identity or culture has more legitimacy than any other.
- We believe that the family is a basic human community through which people are nurtured in mutual love, responsibility, respect, and fidelity. We believe in the importance of loving parents for all children. We accept the family as encompassing a wider range of options than that of the traditional mother/father parents and minor children.
- We affirm the sanctity of a marriage that is expressed in love, mutual support, personal commitment, and shared fidelity between two consenting adults regardless of sexuality or gender.
Economics + Social Programs
- We believe that Christian faith denies to any person or group of persons exclusive and arbitrary control of any part of the created universe. Socially and culturally conditioned ownership of property is considered a responsibility to God.
- We support social measures that ensure the physical and mental safety of workers, that provide for the equitable division of products and services, and that encourage an increasing freedom in the way individuals use their personal time.
- We should avoid purchasing products made in conditions where workers are being exploited because of their age, gender, or economic status.
- We are called to support the poor and challenge the rich. To begin to alleviate poverty, we support such policies as: adequate income maintenance, quality education, decent housing, job training, meaningful employment opportunities, adequate medical and hospital care, humanization and radical revisions of welfare programs, work for peace in conflict areas and efforts to protect creation’s integrity.
Weekly Meal Planner
Download your FREE weekly meal planner so you can stay organized for the week ahead and plan for special occasions.