I kept meaning to share this recipe with you before Thanksgiving but I never got around to making it and taking photos. It was always on my weekend to-do but I kept putting it off in favor of other things. I did end up making it for Thanksgiving dinner so I snuck in some photography time around dinner. It’s too late for Thanksgiving dinner but if you settled for canned cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving now you can make your own homemade cranberry sauce for Christmas. Oh, and yes that is canned sauce in the corner of the picture because some members of the family insist on it. I don’t know why and I dismiss those people as a bit crazy. 😉
Making your own homemade cranberry sauce is ridiculously easy. It takes less than 15 minutes and is so good!
This particular recipe makes a big batch of cranberry sauce and easily feeds at least 6 – 8 people. If there are leftovers I recommend adding them to a Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich or a Brie & Cranberry Grilled Cheese (which I hope to share on the blog later).
If you like orange or a citrus kick in your cranberry sauce you can easily add a bit of orange zest to this recipe. I usually don’t because I love cranberry sauce on its own. I do sometimes add a splash of bourbon to it as it’s simmering but that’s totally optional as well. If you have little ones eating it you shouldn’t do that but since we don’t, well, #shrug.
- 24oz fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- Add cranberries and sugar to a small saucepan. Add vanilla extract and water then bring to a boil.
- Boil until you hear the berries start to pop open (approximately 3 - 5 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes until all cranberries have burst and are soft.
- Transfer to a storage container and allow to cool. Keep cool until ready to serve.
- To add a kick of citrus to the cranberry sauce, add a zest of orange to the saucepan while simmering.
- To add bourbon, add 1/3 cup bourbon whiskey with the vanilla extract and water.
Planning to try it out this holiday season? Don’t forget to pin it to your recipe boards!
Want to Live Stress-Free?
In my new eBook, I teach you simple solutions for avoiding stress. Get the tips you need to shift your lifestyle choices and develop the conscious habits that lead to stress-free living. Get it free!