Lately, Brandon and I have been trying to be more deliberate about date nights. We are planning them ahead of time, trying new places, and requiring that date nights are screen-free (so you may have to wait for that Twitter reply 😉 ). It’s been really great because we’ve discovered new coffee shops and restaurants, explored new parts of our city, and had some of the best conversations of our entire marriage. We’ve been able to reconnect in a way we didn’t know was possible because we weren’t even aware that we needed “reconnecting.” I wouldn’t say we had drifted apart but there were certainly things that we didn’t know about each other like stresses that were on each other’s hearts or new dreams we were hoping/planning to pursue.
We had our most recent date night a few days ago at Tin Lizzy’s Cantina (one of our favorite places) and had a fabulous time. We shared jokes over chips and salsa (and their spicy salsa is the best!) and did a bit of people-watching (a guilty pleasure, I admit) and enjoyed margaritas to kick-start 2017. It was wonderful. We felt more connected than we have in the past few months.
The next morning I was talking to a friend of mine and she said, “We never know what to talk about. Everything feels so forced.” Then, we spoke about conversation starters and how to connect as adults about topics other than kids, pets, and politics. It prompted me to sit down and create conversation starters so that you can engage with your husband on your next date night. Sometimes our conversations become a bit deeper, building off of some of the prompts I’m sharing so try to take them and relate them to your own lives.
Conversation Starters for Date Night
Use these conversation starters as a platform to get a conversation started. Then, just let it go naturally.
- What was the last joke you heard or funny video you saw? Why was it funny? Where did you see it?
- Who is your current favorite entertainer (comedian, musician, actor, etc.)? Do they have any new shows in our area, movies coming out, concerts coming nearby? Can we make plans to go?
- What is the best thing to happen to you at work / home this week? Why was it good? How did you celebrate?
- If you could spend an entire day with anyone in the modern world, who would it be? What about someone from history? What about someone (other than Jesus) from the Bible? Why them? What would you ask them?
- If you were guaranteed to survive without injury or ill-effect, which historical event do you wish you could have witnessed? Why this event?
- Is there anything causing you stress right now? Why is it stressing you? How can I help you feel less stressed over it?
- What was the last time you felt overworked? Is there something I can do to support you?
- If you had an entire day off by yourself to do anything you choose, what would you do? Why would you choose that? Can we make this happen for you?
- Do you feel like you have a healthy balance of “me” time or time to spend with your friends?
- Who has been the most influential person in your life lately? Why are they so influential? Are there any qualities they have that you would like to develop in yourself?
- Do you feel appreciated at home? What could I do to make you feel more supported?
- What did you think of our last vacation? Is there anything you’d prefer to do differently (board the dogs, plan a free day, be more organized)? What are the top 3 places you’d like to consider for our next trip?
- What’s your favorite season of the year? Why? Do you think we do enough each year to enjoy that season? how could we do more to be present during this time of year the next time it comes around?
- Could you name 3 things that are on your bucket list? Have you thought about a timeline to accomplish those things?
- Is there a foreign country you’ve never traveled to that you’d like to see? Have you researched how much it would take to go? Could we work on a savings plan to make it happen?
- What is the craziest (wildest, silliest, most outrageous) goal you had as a child? Do you still want to achieve that goal? Why did you give up on it?
- What do you hope to achieve in your professional life this year? Are there any new skills, certificates, or qualifications you have to earn to achieve this goal? What, if anything, is holding you back?
- What are some goals you have failed to accomplish recently? Why did you fail? How could I help you achieve those goals?
- What is one goal you have for our future? What is something you would like for us to accomplish together in the next year? Two years? Five years?
- Which recent news story do you find the most interesting? What interests you about it? What is your opinion?
- What is one thing you think our country has gotten wrong lately? What do you wish had happened instead?
- Do you think it’s possible to have a happy family and a successful career at the same time? Do you think we are achieving it? What do you think of our work / life balance?
Do you have any great conversation starters that I’ve missed? Feel free to add your own in the comments below!