It’s been a bit of an anxious few weeks around here lately. I’ve been struggling with a cloud of depression all month over our struggle to conceive. There are so many fun Christmas things I desperately want to do but can’t bring myself to do because we are still childless. There is a great Polar Express train that runs around here and an absolutely stunning holiday light display I’d love to see. I can’t do it though because I know I’ll lose it seeing so many little ones with their mothers. I started crying in the mall over the weekend after seeing a baby sitting on Santa’s lap. It’s like everything is setting me off.
There’s been other anxiety-fueling situations in the family and it’s year-end which means a lot of stress and anxiety at work. Overall, it’s just been crazy and my anxiety has been through the roof. I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling this way right now. It seems to be pretty common this time of year so to try to help comfort you I put together this list of my favorite Bible verses for anxiety.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which help support Honey & Pine
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
- Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. – 1 Peter 5:7
- “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. – Matthew 6:25 – 34
- So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” – Hebrews 13:6
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. – John 14:27
- For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. – 2 Timothy 1:7
- If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. – James 1:5
- Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. – Psalm 55:22
- “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. – Matthew 6:34
- Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land. – Psalm 37:7 – 9
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. – Proverbs 3:5 – 6
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10
- I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. – Psalm 34:4
- Of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? – Psalm 27:1
- Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” – Deuteronomy 31:6
- And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? – Luke 12:22 – 26
I bought this gorgeous Beautiful Word Coloring Bible the other day and I can’t wait for it to arrive this week. There’s nothing like an anxious time to drive me straight to the word of God. I had coloring pages in my last devotional and I loved them. They really make you stop and focus on particular verses and reminders. It has beautiful illustrations and the reviews are great so I’m excited to start using it.