My husband is addicted to apple fritters but buying them in the grocery store gets really expensive. I think it’s something like $5 for 4 fritters which is just a bit too crazy for me especially when I make an entire apple fritter breakfast loaf for a fraction of the price. I try to make two loaves on Sunday and they last all week. You probably already have everything you need in your kitchen to make it so you don’t have to make a special trip to the grocery store. I hate recipes that require ingredients I don’t have usually have on hand in the kitchen because I’ll go out and buy what I need then end up letting the majority of it spoil because I don’t need it for anything else. That’s the worst. This recipe isn’t like that it’s just milk, sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, etc. Kitchen staples, right?
The one thing I have to stress about making this loaf is time. It’s impossible to quote an accurate baking time for the loaf because the baking time depends on the type of apples you use. All I can say is it averages about 60 minutes but watch it the first time you make it and make a note of the type of apples used and the baking time. It’s worth it though because once you nail your baking time it’s a breeze to whip up. I always use honeycrisp apples now and just plan for a 60-minute baking time. I’ll clean the kitchen while it’s baking and my whole house ends up smelling like cinnamon apples. 🙂
It does require multiple mixing bowls because you’ll make coat the apples, mix the sugar mixture, and mix the bread dough in separate bowls so make sure you have multiple clean bowls available. You also want to make sure you’re using 9 x 5 loaf pans. The 8 x 4 pans I used were too small for this recipe and the dough almost spilled over while baking.
Another helpful tip – mix up a ton of the cinnamon sugar mix and keep it in a spice jar so you can use it over and over without having to mix it every single time. We use cinnamon sugar a lot when we’re baking and it’s helpful to just have it on hand.
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and coat a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chopped apples, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Stir until apples are evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat granulated sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs (one at a time) until blended. Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Slowly add to the wet mixture and stir until well-blended.
- Add milk and stir until smooth.
- Pour half of the bread loaf batter into the 9x5 loaf pan. Top with half of the cinnamon apples and half of the cinnamon sugar mix. Repeat with remaining batter, apples, and sugar mix.
- Gently press the top apples down into the loaf pan so they stick while baking.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean or with only crumbs sticking to it. There should be no batter on the toothpick. Time varies based on the type of apples used but averages 55 - 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. While cooling, make the sugar glaze by mixing powdered sugar and milk or heavy cream. Use milk for a light glaze (as pictured) or heavy cream for a thicker icing.
- When the loaf is cooled, drizzle glaze over the top.
- If you're using self-rising flour, omit the baking powder.
- You can substitute almond milk for the milk in the bread loaf batter.
It’s delicious! Are you planning to try it this weekend?
Want to Live Stress-Free?
In my new eBook, I teach you simple solutions for avoiding stress. Get the tips you need to shift your lifestyle choices and develop the conscious habits that lead to stress-free living. Get it free!