Ever feel like you need to read a few encouraging Bible verses when you feel hopeless? That’s where I was a few days ago. I turned to my Bible because I needed to read a few Bible verses for when you’re feeling hopeless because I couldn’t seem to get past this overwhelming sense of dread. I know I’m not alone in feeling a sense of hopelessness at times and I’ve found there is a lot of comfort to be found in God’s word when we’re really feeling down. Sometimes it feels like just when things are starting to go right and everything is coming up roses, something else comes along to make it come crashing back down. It’s a horrible feeling.
I remember during one of my most hopeless moments, I didn’t think there was ever going to be “better days” again. I once lost my job mere weeks after moving to a new city. At the time, it was soul-crushing. I enjoyed my job and I was very happy with my company. The job loss was completely unexpected news and very unfortunate considering that my husband and I had relocated for me to accept the position and suddenly found ourselves with a rapidly depleting savings account, a lot of bills stacking up, and no immediate prospects on the horizon. The hopelessness of the moment hit me like a tidal wave leaving me feeling lost and overwhelmed. At times it felt like I couldn’t breathe. I took my anger out on my husband and my dogs and cried almost non-stop. My only comfort at that time were the verses I’m sharing with you below.
This post includes affiliate links which help support Honey & Pine.
There are a lot of great Bible verses when you feel hopeless. Turning to God during the times we feel like all hope is lost is one of top ways I find strength to move through day after day. He has a lot to say to us when we’re feeling lost, feeling depressed, and feeling hopeless. I find so much comfort in these verses that I decided to pull together my favorites, the 10 that gave me the most comfort, in hopes that they will comfort you as well.
Bible Verses When You Feel Hopeless
- Know that wisdom is such to your soul; if you find it, there will be a future, and your hope will not be cut off. – Proverbs 24:14
- In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. – Proverbs 3:6
- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. – Jeremiah 29:11
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
- Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30
- When I thought, “My foot slips,” your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul. – Psalm 94:18-19
- And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28
- I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. – Psalm 34:4-7
- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. – 2 Corinthians 12:19
- So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. Romans 9:16
Want more encouraging and comforting Bible verses? I love these verses when I’m feeling overwhelmed.
Have any other Bible verses when you feel hopeless? Tweet them to me @ashleyfromhp or drop them in the comments below.